Gladstone, Oregon holds the distinction of being the site of the third largest permanent Chautauqua (1874-1927) in the USA.
This 1901 photo of Gladstone Park shows attendees departing the main Chautauqua Auditorium. Affectionately known as "The Beehive", this building stood from 1895-1917. Photo courtesy John Hammond, Jr.
to the Historical Society of Gladstone, Oregon.
We are dedicated to the research, documentation, preservation, public enrichment and enjoyment, of the heritage of Gladstone, Oregon and the surrounding local area.
The society holds regular monthly meetings that include the business of the society and an historically themed program.
Throughout the year, the society plans various projects and activities of particular historical interest. This includes the society's participation in the city's summer celebration of Chautauqua in which members host historical narrated bus tours of old town Gladstone. The society also sponsors rotational historical displays for public viewing.
Since 1992, the society has been actively engaged in the publication of a three-volume, in-depth history of Gladstone. Visit our Gift Shop.
Visitors are welcome to attend all society functions. Our current happenings are announced regularly in the Gladstone City Hall News Briefs, the Gladstone Senior Center News, and on our website Calendar page.
Please visit our website often to learn more about us, our current activities and how you can become involved.